St. Hedwig Church - Detroit, Michigan

St. Hedwig Parish was established on July 3, 1903 when Fr. Jan (John) Mueller was appointed as the first pastor. Joseph G. Kastler, a Detroit architect "widely known in building circles" and of the architectural firm Kastler & Hunter, prepared plans for a two story building with a basement. Consecration of the cornerstone took place in December 1903. This building, plus two others he designed, are shown below. For more information regarding this church, you can visit their website at: http://www.sthedwigchurch.org/history/buildings.html.

Other Detroit Structures

St. Josephat: founded on June 1, 1889, was the third Polish-speaking Roman Catholic parish established in Detroit. On February 2, 1890, it dedicated a combination church and school building. Within a decade plans were begun for a new church rectory and a convent. In 1901 this late Victorian Romanesque-style church was completed at a cost of $100,000. The church was designed by Joseph G. Kastler and William E. N. Hunter. Local carpenters, Harcus and Lang and the Jermolowisz Brothers, were the builders. The stained glass was crafted by the Detroit Stained Glass Works. In 1907 the convent was completed. The complex was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

St. Francis: designed by architects Kastler and Hunter in 1905. It had been one of the largest Polish parishes in the Archdiocese.

Dom Polski: Joseph G. Kastler architect; built in 1913. Primary meeting and social hall of Detroit Polonia until recently.




Original Church, School, and Hall
Consecration of Cornerstone: 1903
Architect: Joseph G. Kastler
First Services were held in Dec, 1904 by Fr. Mueller
The upper floor church held 1,200 people.
Approximate cost was $70,000
No longer standing







Three story Rectory
Completed in 1909
Architect: Joseph G. Kastler
Joseph Nowakowski: masonry
Approximate cost was: $20,000
Still Standing







Elementary School on St. Hedwig Street
16 classrooms
Consecration of Cornerstone: 1919
Architect: Joseph G. Kastler
Building was in use by Feb. 1920
Approximate cost was $160,000
Still Standing