|Located in Daggett County, Utah, the Kastler Compressor Station, or Kastler Station, was named after B.Z. "Bud" Kastler. The facility is a natural gas storage and pressurization plant utilizing (5) 2600 h.p. reciprocating Ingersol engines, and (3) 6,500 h.p. natural gas turbines. Bud states that at this time, "it's the biggest west of the Mississippi".
Bud came to Mountain Fuel Supply Co. in 1952 as company attorney, and went through the ranks until he became President in 1972. Bud retired as President in 1982, as Chairman in 1985, and then from the Board of Directors in 1991.
THE HISTORY OF MOUNTAIN FUEL SUPPLY CO.
Gas was manufactured in Utah as early as 1872 when the Salt Lake City Gas Company was formed to produce "illuminating gas" for streetlights. In 1895 the company was merged with the Ogden Gas Light and Fuel Company, to become the Salt Lake and Ogden Gas and Electric Company. It delivered natural gas to the cities which it had obtained from the marshes of the Great Salt Lake shores. The store of gas from the marshes, however, was not enough to serve the growing cities. By 1904 the Utah Light and Railway Company operated the gas, electric, and railway systems in Salt Lake City and Ogden. The Utah Gas and Coke Company came onto the scene in 1906, and manufactured gas for the next twenty years.
A large quantity of natural gas was discovered in the Baxter Basin of southwest Wyoming near Rock Springs in 1922. By 1925, pipelines had been developed which could carry gas from Wyoming to Utah. As soon as a transmission line was built, the manufacturing of gas was unnecessary in Utah. Soon more gas was being discovered in Wyoming and Colorado. The four major groups that either owned or developed most of the gas reserves in southwestern Wyoming were the Ohio Oil Company, the Producers and Refiners Corporation, the Prairie Oil and Gas Company, and the Crawford and Gregory interests of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. These groups formed a holding company, the Western Public Service Corporation, in 1928. The holding company had three subsidiaries: Mountain Fuel Supply Company of Delaware (the production company), Uinta Pipeline Company (the transmission company), and Wasatch Gas Company (the transmission company for the Salt Lake Valley and the distribution company for the smaller Salt Lake area communities). The transmission pipeline, completed in seven months, was built in 1929 from Wyoming to Utah, a distance of 334 miles. It was at this time that natural gas was brought to Utah on an uninterrupted basis.
In May 1935, the stockholders of Western Public Service Corporation approved a consolidation and merger of all the subsidiaries into Mountain Fuel Supply Company of Utah. For further details on the formation of the Mountain Fuel Supply Company, see the historical graph on the following page.
After World War II, the company began to grow rapidly. In 1945 there were 45,385 customers, and by 1980 there were 395,586. The increase in customers was due both to the increase in population and the wider area served by the company. New gas reserves continued to be found by Mountain Fuel and its associated companies to meet increasing customer needs. The company has also been involved in the transportation of gas for other gas companies. In 1980, Mountain Fuel became a partner in the Trailblazer Pipeline Project which built a pipeline from the Overthrust area near Evanston, Wyoming to Beatrice, Nebraska.
On October 2, 1984, Mountain Fuel Supply Company became a subsidiary of Questar, an investor-owned, diversified energy corporation headquartered in Salt Lake City.